On comixology.com you'll find our growing collection of comics, graphic novels, and manga. Previously purchased books will continue to be available in “My Books.”Go to comixology.com
or continue to m.comixology.eu
We updated this Privacy Notice on 24 May 2018
Effective Date: 24 May 2018
(For comixology.eu, comixology.co.uk, comixology.fr, comiXology applications and related comiXology Services in Europe)
We know that you care how information about you is used and shared and we appreciate your trust in us to do that carefully and sensibly. This Privacy Notice (this “Privacy Notice”) describes how we collect and process your personal information.
The company that does business as comiXology and provides the Service is Iconology, Inc. (the “Company,” “we,” “us,” or “our”), 512 Seventh Avenue, 12th FL, New York, NY 10018 (USA). The Company is a data controller of personal information collected and processed through the Service as described in this Privacy Notice.
1. Personal Information We Collect
We collect your personal information in order to provide and continually improve our Service.
Here are the types of information we gather:
Information You Give Us
We receive and store information you provide in relation to our Service. For example:
· When you create or update an account with us, you enter information about yourself such as username, email address, and birthdate.
· When you purchase Content, you provide information about yourself and your payment method.
· When you communicate with us via phone, email, or otherwise, or configure your settings for the Service.
Your use of our Service generates information that the Company receives and collects automatically. For example:
· Hardware, Software and Network Data: We collect information about the type and version of the device you use to access our Service, your operating system, your IP address, unique device identifiers, the location of your device or computer, your computer and mobile network and connection information, application usage, connectivity data, and errors or event failures.
· Content Selection and Interaction: We collect information about the Content you purchase, place in your cart without purchasing, or browse.
· Other Usage Information: We collect the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through, and from our websites and apps (including date and time), cookie number, Content you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks and mouse-over), and phone numbers you use to call us.
Information From Other Sources
We might also receive your information from other sources, including information about your search results, interaction with paid listings, your interactions with businesses with which we operate co-branded offerings, or for which we provide technical, fulfillment, payment, advertising, or other services.
2. Purposes For Processing Your Personal Information
We process your personal information to operate, provide, and improve the Service. These purposes include:
· Purchase and Deliver Content and Services: We may use your personal information to take and handle orders, deliver products, and services, process payments, and communicate with you about orders, products, services, and promotional offers.
· Recommendations and Personalization: We may use your personal information to recommend Content, features, services and products that we think might interest you, and to personalize your experience with the Service.
· Fraud Prevention and Credit Risks: We may use your personal information to detect and mitigate fraud or abuse in order to protect the security of our customers, the Service, the Company, and others.
· Provide, troubleshoot, and improve the Service. We may use your personal information to provide functionality, analyse performance, fix errors, and improve usability and effectiveness of the Service.
· Advertising. We may use your personal information when we work with advertisers and advertising partners to display interest-based ads to you on other sites. To learn more, please read our Interest-Based Ads Notice.
· Comply with legal obligations. In certain cases, we may have a legal obligation to collect and process your personal information. For instance, we use information about your location to comply with geographic restrictions on the distribution of Content, pay taxes, and display the proper Content, policies, notices, and advertisements.
· Communicate with you. We may use your personal information to communicate with you in relation to the Service via different channels (e.g., by phone and email).
· Purposes for which we seek your consent. We may also ask for your consent to process your personal information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you. When you consent to our processing your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop processing your information for that purpose.
3. Cookies and Similar Technologies
We use, and allow third parties to use, various technologies including cookies, pixel tags and anonymous identifiers (“Cookies”) that enable tracking and collection of information about your use of our Service or on other Company or third party services. The Help feature on most browsers and devices will tell you how to prevent your browser or device from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
For more information about Cookies and how we use them, please read our Cookie Notice.
4. Your Rights and Choices
Subject to applicable law, you have the right to access the personal information we maintain about you, to request that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted, and to ask for data portability. Examples of information you can access through the Company include recent orders, order history, and personally identifiable information (including name and email). If you decide you no longer want us to process your personal information, you should uninstall the App, and, if you have an account, at your request we will delete your account and make your user profile anonymous in the database. You will no longer be able to use our Service if you do this. If you want to browse our websites anonymously, you may do so by logging out of your account and disabling cookies on your browser. When you consent to our processing of your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop any further processing of your information for that purpose. You may exercise the rights mentioned in this section by using the contact details provided below under “How to Contact Us and Updates.” If you receive any marketing emails from us, you may ask us not to send you any such emails by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link included in the email you received, or by emailing your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Personal Information We Transfer
We may transfer your personal information to third parties only as described below:
· We may transfer personal information to our corporate affiliates.
· We may transfer personal information to our business partners, including publishers who provide Content for any of our services, if: (a) through our Service or their services you have requested a product or service that requires us to transfer the information; or (b) if you use your account credentials to create an account with or log into any other service, including the digital stores operated under the brands of such partners and for which we provide technology or management services. In such cases, your account information will be transferred to such business partner. We may make available co-branded offerings in connection with the Services. If you elect to use such co-branded offerings, we may share customer information related to those transactions with applicable third parties. In all of these cases, any personal information shared with a third party will be subject to any privacy policies of the applicable third party.
· We may transfer personal information to third parties we have retained to perform services on our behalf, such as Content hosting and delivery, data analytics, marketing and advertising, and payment services. Such service providers may not use or disclose personal information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
· In connection with a business transaction involving transfer of our Company or a business of ours, information relating to customers typically would be included in the assets transferred.
· We may transfer personal information with your consent.
· We may share personal information: (a) as required by legal process or any law to which we are subject; (b) in response to a valid legal request; (c) to protect our rights under our contracts, terms of service, or end user license agreements, or to otherwise protect our rights or the rights of others, including the owners of intellectual property in Content; (d) to assess or mitigate credit risk; or (e) to conduct any investigation relating to the foregoing.
6. International Transfers
We are based in the United
States. Although you may access our Service from a location outside of
the United States, such as the European Economic Area (“EEA”), any personal
information collected in connection with our Service may be transferred to,
processed, and stored within the United States. When we transfer personal
information out of the EEA, we will treat your personal information in
accordance with the requirements of this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the
applicable laws on data protection.
7. Information Retention
We retain personal information for as long as necessary to provide our Service, to fulfill any other purposes for which the information was initially collected, as may be required by law (such as for tax or accounting purposes), or as otherwise communicated to you. For example, we retain your transaction history so that you can review past purchases and to improve the relevancy of products and content we recommend.
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect personal information against loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. We use Secure Sockets Layer encryption for the transmission of account registration information and in other instances where appropriate. We will never ask you for your password in any unsolicited communication (including by telephone or e-mail) but we may occasionally request proof of identity. If you believe your username or password has been compromised, please contact us at email@example.com. You should understand that no system of data security is invulnerable. You should protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computers, devices, and applications.
9. Links to Other Websites and Services
We may provide links to various third party websites and services. Those sites and services are not under our control. Those sites and services may have their own privacy policies or notices, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit them or utilize them. We are not responsible for those third party privacy policies or notices, the related data processing practices, or any other aspects of those sites and services.
10. Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may change this Privacy Notice at any time and without prior notice to you. If the changes are material, we will notify you by posting or displaying a notice on this page, by email, on an updated App available for free download, or by any other method we choose in our discretion. Changes are effective when disclosed, or at such later date as may be stated in the revised Privacy Notice. Your use of the Service after a change is effective will be governed by the Privacy Notice as changed. The Privacy Notice in effect at any time governs our use of all information in our possession at that time. However, if we change the Privacy Notice in a way that materially reduces the protections afforded to information collected prior to the change, we will not apply that change to that previously collected information without the consent of the affected customers. Please review this Privacy Notice from time to time while you are connected to the Internet so that you are aware of any changes. We will indicate above the effective date of this Privacy Notice.
11. How to Contact Us and Updates
If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy practices or personal information that you have provided, please contact our subsidiary by writing to ComiXology Europe SAS, 42 avenue Montaigne, 75008 Paris (France) or the Company by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by writing to Iconology, Inc. (comiXology), 512 Seventh Avenue, 12th Floor, New York, NY 10018 (USA), and reference subject “Privacy” in any written communications. You can file a complaint with our principal supervisory authority, the Commission Nationale pour la Protection des Données in Luxembourg, or with a local authority.
We updated our privacy notice on 24 May 2018. You can view the previous privacy notice here